December 22, 2020

Hello SFCC,

It is essential to remain active both mentally and physically during lapses in education. Compile a list of tasks that you can accomplish or begin to assist your search for a career. Breaks are an excellent time to enhance your accomplishments and set yourself up for success. Throughout this blog, I will explore some ways you can accomplish this. If you have already completed these tasks, you should revise them and make sure that you are presenting yourself to the best of your ability.

I don’t know about you all, but I am beyond relieved that classes are ending for the semester. With that, there is little room to relax since scholars and skilled-workers should pursue life-long learning. The brain is a muscle, and if you don’t use it, you lose it. My suggestion to keep your brain active over the break is to enhance or create your curriculum vitae (CV), cover letter, and resumé. Furthermore, if you haven’t been actively applying for scholarships or internships, this break is an excellent time to do so. Lastly, take time to enjoy the outdoors and look forward to the blossoming spring that is just around the corner.

When searching for a company to begin your career with, it is suggested to explore as many different positions and companies as possible. To accomplish this effectively, one is expected to have a curriculum vitae, cover letter, or resumé. A curriculum vitae is different from a cover letter. If a position requires the submission of a CV, one can infer that this position is going to require a more experienced candidate; whereas, a position requiring a cover letter and resumé is more likely to be seeking novice or amateur candidates.

It is a good idea to consult your navigator and any other willing professional to help you construct these documents. Some people find it helpful to utilize online websites to help structure them. Others rely on sample documents found on the internet. For this, I suggest looking at examples that have been posted by accredited institutions.

It is also a good idea to look into scholarship opportunity deadlines and add these to your calendars. Identifying these scholarships is just the first step. The next step is to construct the documents I mentioned above and then compose the required essays. Some scholarships ask roughly the same essay questions, so it is a good idea to save your essays for future use.

I wish you luck in achieving your goals and hope you have a blessed winter break.

Written by Robert Johnson.

About the Author
Hi, I’m Robert! I am a sophomore at SFCC where I have been working the past two semesters as one of Student Success and Retentions Work-Study Students. I am a pre-engineering student here at SFCC, and I plan to transfer to Missouri Science and Technology in the fall of 2021 in pursuit of my bachelor’s degree in Nuclear Engineering. I look forward to sharing with you some of the topics that I think are relevant to student success and community involvement.

SUBMIT A BLOG TO SFCC
Would you like to publish a blog to State Fair Community College? We’re now accepting submissions from students, staff, and faculty. Email your blog submission to Megan Spencer at mspencer8@sfccmo.edu

Toll Free (877) 311-7322

It's about community!

State Fair Community College provides relevant and responsive learning experiences that empower our students and communities to prosper.

Roadrunner logo
Segment Pixel