SFCC awards more than 250 scholarships each year, including merit-based, performance and leadership. Scholarships don’t have to be repaid and are generally competitive. Many are renewable.
Some great scholarships available include:
- The President’s Academic Excellence Scholarship—10 awarded annually
- Achievement Scholarships—25 awarded annually
- Performance Scholarships (fine and performing arts, athletics and cheerleading)—More than 100 available annually
- Leadership (Student Government Association, Campus Activities Board and Student Ambassador scholarships)—Up to a dozen awarded annually
SFCC Foundation Scholarships
The SFCC Foundation also offers a variety of scholarships. The foundation was launched in 1981 with a single check for $2,000 from J. Higdon and Bernice Potter, who wanted their estate to benefit the young people of the community. The nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation raises funds to meet the needs of the college, from new buildings, programs and services to scholarships for deserving students.
Since it began, the foundation has given almost $8.8 million to the college from bequests, major gifts and endowment fund earnings—many from former students who appreciated the education they received at SFCC and wanted to give back. Current assets are nearly $8 million.
Who Can Apply?
Any current SFCC, transfer or upcoming freshmen student can apply online. The online scholarship application becomes available on November 15th.
The single online scholarship application will be applied to all SFCC scholarship opportunities. Be sure to review your scholarship opportunities because some require an additional essay or needed documentation to be uploaded for consideration.
What is the Scholarship Application Deadline?
The priority deadline to apply for scholarships for is March 1. We will continue to receive scholarship applications after March 1, however, those will not be considered on the first round of awards.
Upcoming high school graduates
- Provide your most recent high school transcript and placement scores (ACT®, SAT®, or ACCUPLACER® tests accepted) to Admissions and Outreach Office and complete the scholarship application by March 1st.
- Provide an official college transcript to the Admissions and Outreach Office and complete the scholarship application by March 1st.
Current SFCC students
- Complete the scholarship application by March 1st.
If you receive a scholarship from a private organization, SFCC will comply with all stipulations of the scholarship. As a rule, all private scholarships of more than $500 will be divided equally between fall and spring semesters, although they may be awarded in one semester at your request.
- Endorse your scholarship check and mail to State Fair Community College, Financial Aid and Veteran Services, Attn: Scholarship Coordinator, 3201 W. 16th, Sedalia, MO 65301.
- When we receive your check, we will add the funds to your account and note them as “Outside Scholarship.” Unless otherwise stated, the funds will first be used to reduce the amount of tuition and fees you owe, and then can be applied to book purchases.
Not sure what’s available? You can search here for SFCC scholarships: