November 02, 2020

When I first came to State Fair, I was dead set on going into Library Sciences. I planned to obtain my masters in it, and I still intend to do so. I’ve just made some changes along the way regarding whether or not I’m going to solely aim for working in a library, or gaining an opportunity to explore more of my interests and open up more doors for me to explore later on in my life. 

I had always been a bookworm when I was younger, as I wasn’t good at socializing with the other kids. Instead of playing during recess, I would sit off to the side absorbed in whatever book I had checked out from the library that week. It never took me long to finish them because I was always reading them. So, ironically, when I began considering what I wanted to do in my life, I didn’t consider being a librarian even once. I considered being a “baby doctor,” or an OB/GYN, veterinarian, etc. Never once did it cross my mind that I could be surrounded by books on the daily if I so chose to pursue that. At least, not until I was offered a part time job at the local library in California, Missouri. 

My time at the library was eye opening to say the least. I helped people of all ages find the books they were looking for, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Over the summer I helped with the summer reading program, cutting out stuff for the crafts they did, shelving books, stamping programs, etc. It really appealed to me. So one day I was chatting with the other staff about what I wanted to do with my life, and they of course mentioned that I could go for my library sciences degree. That was when I realized that this was something I would love to do for years to come. So, I went to SFCC seeking a Masters of Library Sciences. 

So the thing about Library Sciences is that there isn’t a bachelors for it. You can get a bachelors in something else, and master in it, or go straight for the masters in library sciences. Originally I had intended to just go directly for the masters. That was until I met with the amazing staff at SFCC, particularly Dana Goosen, my TRiO Navigator. She said I could try communication classes, and once I began trying the classes, I realized I really enjoyed them. I decided to change up my plan and minor in theatre, bachelor in communications, and master in library sciences. It’s something that will open more doors for me along the way, and I can work in communications while I work toward my masters degree in library sciences.

I recommend everyone go for whatever program they have the most passion for, and maybe evaluate just how many opportunities they can open up by broadening their horizon just a little bit. I certainly learned a lot by just taking classes that seemed to call to me! Where did you find your #ProgramPassion?

Written by Taylor Ireland.

About the Author
Hi, I’m Taylor! I’m a sophomore at State Fair Community College. I’m heavily involved around campus as a residential assistant for the Student Life apartments, TRiO President for the Fall 2020 Semester, an active participant in our school’s theatre, and a work study for Student Success! I’m around campus a lot; unfortunately, I don’t often have time to chat with everyone, so hopefully blogs about my experiences at SFCC will help to aid you into either getting back into the groove of things, or help you start a groove if you’re new!

SUBMIT A BLOG TO SFCC
Would you like to publish a blog to State Fair Community College? We’re now accepting submissions from students, staff, and faculty. Email your blog submission to Megan Spencer at mspencer8@sfccmo.edu

Toll Free (877) 311-7322

It's about community!

State Fair Community College provides relevant and responsive learning experiences that empower our students and communities to prosper.

Roadrunner logo
Segment Pixel