SEDALIA—State Fair Community College’s The LearningForce will offer the following continuing education classes starting Sept. 27.
• Photography II: Photoshop will meet from 6-9 p.m. Sept. 27 and 29 in Fielding Technical Center, Room 229. The class will cover basic editing techniques, printing and web use. Students will get the most out of the class if they have Adobe Photoshop Elements or Adobe Photoshop CC on their home computers. Cost is $39; instructor is Brandi Webb
• Clay Creations will meet from 6:30-8:30 p.m. on Oct. 3, 6 and 10 in Stauffacher Center for the Fine Arts, Room 41. This beginner class will focus on wheel throwing and/or hand building with an emphasis on learning skills instead of finishing products. Cost is $59; instructor is Janice Hargrave.
• Crochet Basics will meet from 6-8 p.m. on Oct. 3, 5 and 10 in Fielding Technical Center, Room 253. Students will learn basic stitches, how to read a pattern and create a scarf. Supplies needed are a size J (6mm) crochet hook and a skein of worsted weight yarn. Cost is $39; instructor is Adrienne Brigham.
• The Poem and You will meet from 6:30-8:30 p.m. on Tuesdays for four weeks beginning Oct. 4 in Yeater Learning Center, Room 140. This class is for beginner and experienced poets and will cover basic elements and techniques for writing and revising poems using a variety of styles and verse forms. Participants will build skills through reading and discussing others work and by composing their own poems. Cost is $59; instructor is Debbie Noland.
• Yoga classes will meet from 4-5 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays for four weeks beginning Oct. 4 in Hopkins Student Services Center, Room 714. Participants will strengthen their cardiovascular system and tone and stretch muscles that improves balance and overall well-being. Wear comfortable clothes and bring a mat or rug. Cost is $39 for each four-week session; instructor is Irene Renauld.
• Yogalates, a fusion of yoga and Pilates, will meet from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays for four weeks beginning Oct. 4 in Hopkins Student Center, Room 714. It offers stretching and strengthening of all major muscles and calms the mind and spirit. The exercises and postures are easily modified to cater to all levels of fitness. Wear comfortable clothes and bring a mat or rug. Cost is $39; instructor is Sue Guffin.
A 15 percent discount is applied if enrolling in three or more yoga or Yogalates sessions at the same time.
• Yoga at the Daum: for Stress Management will meet from 5:15-6:15 p.m. Wednesdays for 10 weeks beginning Oct. 5 in the Daum Museum of Contemporary Art. Class will not be held on Nov. 23. Participants will learn techniques for managing stress using yogic poses, breath work, mindfulness and meditation. A yoga mat is required; additional props are optional. Cost is $59; instructor is Matt Clouse
• Motorcycle Basic Rider Course will meet Oct. 7-9 on the Sedalia campus. The class meets from 6-10 p.m. Friday and from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The course is geared toward beginning or re-entry riders and has a list of requirements. Cost is $199; instructor is Chuck Buck, who is certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and the Missouri Motorcycle Safety Program.
• Hand Gun Fundamentals will meet from 8-5 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 8, at Black Dawn Industries LLC, 1511 North Ohio. This one-day course is designed for a new shooter who may or may not have a concealed weapons permit or an experienced shooter who wants to learn more solid fundamentals on the realistic use of a handgun. Course topics will include stance, grip, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, draw stroke, reloading, stoppage cleaning drills, and cleaning and maintaining the firearm. A supply list is available at www.sfccmo.edu/supplylist. Cost is $79; instructor is Tim Padgett.
• Missouri Concealed Carry Weapons will meet from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 9, at Black Dawn Industries LLC, 1511 North Ohio. This course is a comprehensive training experience in pistol safety, operations, mental preparation, and firearms law. Both revolver and semi-automatic handguns are needed for the course. A supply list is available at www.sfccmo.edu/supplylist. Cost is $99; instructor is Tim Padgett.
Students who take both Hand Gun Fundamentals and the Missouri Concealed Carry Weapons courses the same weekend for $159 will save $19.
• Commercial Driver License (CDL) Class A Truck Driving Academy is a four-week program designed to train new truck drivers how to drive, the rules and regulations of the road and how to keep logs. It includes about 40 hours of classroom time and 160 hours of driving time. Students must have a CDL permit and pass drug and health screenings before starting the program. Programs begin monthly; the next one begins Oct. 10 in Fielding Technical Center, Room 253. Upon completion, students will be prepared to earn a Class A CDL. Go to www.sfccmo.edu/cdl for details and application; instructor is Gary Willis.