State Fair Community College’s The LearningForce will offer these professional and enrichment courses in February.
- Yoga classes will meet from 4-5 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays starting Feb. 1 for eight sessions in Hopkins Student Center, Room 714. Students should wear comfortable clothes and bring a mat or rug. Cost is $39; Irene Renauld is the instructor.
- Yogalates, a fusion of yoga and Pilates, will meet from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays for eight sessions starting Feb. 1 in Hopkins Student Center, Room 714. This class offers stretching and strengthening of all major muscles and calms the mind and spirit. Students should wear comfortable clothes and bring a mat. Cost is $39; Sue Guffin is the instructor.
- PIYO, a combination of Pilates, yoga and nonstop movement, will meet from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays starting Feb. 5 for seven sessions in Hopkins Student Center, Room 714. This low-impact, music-driven, body-sculpting workout strengthens muscles, increases flexibility and improves balance and mobility. Cost is $34; Kim Windle is the instructor.
A 15 percent discount is applied if enrolling in three or more yoga, Yogalates or PIYO sessions at the same time prior to the start of class.
- Commercial Driver License (CDL) Class A Truck Driving Academy is a four-week program designed to train new truck drivers how to drive, the rules and regulations of the road and how to keep driving logs. It includes about 40 hours of classroom time and 160 hours of driving time. Students must have a CDL permit and pass drug and health screenings before starting. Programs begin monthly; the next one begins Feb. 5 in Fielding Technical Center, Room 245. Upon completion, students will be prepared to earn a Class A CDL. Go to sfccmo.edu/cda for details and application. Gary Willis is the instructor. The next class starts March 5.
- Fall Leaves – A Tessellations Quilt class will meet from 6-9 p.m. on Wednesdays for four sessions on Feb. 7 and 28 and March 7 and 14 in Davis Multipurpose Center, Room 119. This new class is for confident beginners and experienced quilters who want to learn the tessellated pattern that interlocks, creating identical positive and negative spaces. The first class is a two-hour informational meeting to review the supply list and fabrics required to complete this project; only notetaking materials are needed. Three more three-hour sessions require students to bring a sewing machine to class. Cost is $69; Pamela Young is the instructor.
- Crappie University will be held from 7:30-9:30 p.m. for four nights, Feb. 7, 13, 21and 28 in Thompson Conference Center in Heckart Science and Allied Health Center. Students will learn cutting-edge techniques used by top crappie pros and guides. Cost is $89.
- Basic Computer Course will meet from 6-8 p.m. on Wednesdays for three sessions that start Feb. 21 in Fielding Technical Center, Room 229. This course provides hands-on teaching of file management, Word and Excel basics, Google Drive and apps for new users and for those who want to update their computer skills. Cost is $79; Brenda Powell is the instructor.
- Give ‘em the Pickle is a one-session customer service workshop from 1-4 p.m. Feb. 22 in Fielding Technical Center, Room 253. This light-hearted training is designed to foster and maintain customer loyalty. Topics include four key customer service principles—service, attitude, consistency, and teamwork and how to create an action plan. Cost is $49; Kelly Asbury is the instructor.
- Conceal Carry Weapons – Handgun Fundamentals will meet from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Feb. 24 at Black Dawn Industries LLC, 1511 North Ohio in Sedalia. This class provides training in pistol safety, operations, mental preparation, and firearms law in the classroom and live fire personalized practice time. Successful completion meets the classroom requirements for a CCW application. Participants must be Missouri residents and at least 19 years old to apply for a concealed weapon endorsement. Participants must provide their own handgun (revolver or semi-auto), 100 rounds of ammunition, eye and hearing protection. Handguns may be rented, and ammunition can be purchased. Black Dawn Industries provides qualified instructors and shooting range facilities. Cost is $99.
- Cricut with Me-Beginner will meet from 7-9 p.m. on Tuesdays for three sessions that start Feb. 27 in Fielding Technical Center 226A. This interactive class teaches how to use the Cricut Explore and software and will focus on different paper materials. Participants will complete a project in each class. For those who do not have a Cricut Explore, one will be available to share. Participants need to bring their Explore, card stock and patterned paper, scissors, adhesive, Cricut mat and tools. Computers for programming will be provided. Cost is $39; Janell Allred is the instructor.
For more information and to register online go to sfccmo.edu/the-learning-force, call (660) 530-5822 or email email@example.com. Gift certificates are available for any course. Early enrollment helps to ensure classes will be held.