- This event has passed.
Solid Gold, A Rockin’ Anniversary Celebration
September 16, 2018, 1:00 pm-9:00 pm
On Sept. 16, 1968, the doors to higher education opened to 436 students in an interim structure west of the Missouri State Fairgrounds, and the dream of a community college became a reality.
To celebrate its 50th anniversary, State Fair Community College will host “Solid Gold, A Rockin’ Anniversary Celebration” from 1-9 p.m. Sept. 16 on the Sedalia campus. The community is welcome to come-and-go throughout the afternoon and evening; admission is free.
A commemorative program will take place at 4 p.m. under a tent in the quad area behind Hopkins Student Services Center. Remarks will be made by SFCC Board of Trustees President Randall D. Eaton; Anniversary Chairperson, alumnus and trustee Patty Wood; Missouri Representative Dean Dohrman; Benton County Presiding Commissioner Michelle McLerran Kreisler; Pettis County Presiding Commissioner David Dick, and SFCC President Dr. Joanna Anderson. Missouri Senator Sandy Crawford will present a resolution from the Senate, and Theatre instructor Eric Yazell will read a poem written for the event by Dr. Doug Kiburz.
“Celebrating 50 years is a significant milestone for State Fair Community College,” says Dr. Anderson. “From our humble beginnings as Plywood U, SFCC has grown into a beautiful campus in Sedalia with six additional campuses where students can choose from more than 70 relevant degrees and certificates. What hasn’t changed is our exceptional faculty and staff who have always been dedicated to helping students learn and succeed. Our 50th anniversary is the perfect opportunity to re-engage with alumni. We invite everyone who has a connection with SFCC to come celebrate with us on Sept. 16.”
Golf carts will be available for those needing assistance, and tractor pulled trams will do perimeter tours of the campus. In addition to the many activities listed, a fireworks show, sponsored by Bryant Motors and W-K Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac, will happen at 9 p.m.
Fielding Technology Center, parking and outside area
- Car show, 1-4 p.m.; registration 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.; entry fee $10 per vehicle; 10 classes, first, second and third place trophies; Kid’s Choice, President’s Choice and Best of Show trophies awarded 3:30 p.m.
- Inflatable obstacle course 1-7 p.m. in north grassy area.
- Raffle for toolbox donated by Stanley Black and Decker and 50-50 drawing; tickets $1 each, $6 for five or $10 for arm length quantity
- Robotic and automation display, 1-4, Fielding, Room 291
- Anatomage demonstrations (3D medical imaging), 1-4 p.m., Fielding, Room 240
Heckart Science and Allied Health Center
- Health Fair, 1-4 p.m., Heckart, Rooms 828 and 829
- Kids build- a-spine activity, 1-4 p.m., Heckart, Room 825
- Health Science program information table, 1-4 p.m., Sylvia L. Thompson Atrium
- “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang,” free 1968 movie, 6:30 p.m., Thompson Conference Center, popcorn and soda served
Quad Area (behind Hopkins Student Services Center)
- Bounce house, 1-7 p.m.
- Campus tours, 2 and 3 p.m., start inside Hopkins Center
- Celebration remarks by Dr. Joanna Anderson and guests, 4 p.m.
- Hamburger or hot dog, chips, cookie and drink meal, $6, served 4-7 p.m. by Benton and Pettis County Cattlemen Associations
- Dirt Road Addiction band and dancing, 4-7 p.m.
Yeater Learning Center
- Free 50th anniversary bookmark coloring station, 1-4 p.m., Proctor Library
- Storytelling by SFCC Theatre students, 2 and 3 p.m., Proctor Library
Stauffacher Fine Arts Center
- 50th anniversary graphic timeline display, 1-5 p.m., Goddard Gallery
- Campus Store, 1-7 p.m., drawings for five $10 gift certificates, special anniversary shirts and memorabilia for sale, decade selfie booth, games, memory board
- “Swiss Family Robinson,” free 1968 movie, 6:30 p.m., Stauffacher Theatre, no refreshments
Daum Museum of Contemporary Art
- Open 1-5 p.m.
Ewing-Potter Agriculture Building
- SFCC Horticulture Club mum sale, $10 each, 1-4 p.m.
- Agriculture scrapbooks displayed, old photos and videos, 1-4 p.m.
Davis Multipurpose Center
- Roadrunners and Lady Roadrunners soccer matches against Central Methodist University, 1 p.m. men, 4 p.m. women, outside Sports Complex
- SFCC Booster Club will serve free popcorn, 3-4 p.m., inside concession area
SFCC’s 50th anniversary celebration is made possible by many student, faculty and staff volunteers, the 50th Anniversary Steering Committee, and these sponsors: The Honorable Senator Jim Mathewson, Thompson Hills Shopping Center and Impact Signs design services (anniversary timeline); SFCC’s Automotive Technology Center and 301 Street Cars (car show); Bryant Motors, McCarthy Toyota of Sedalia, Rick Ball Ford Lincoln Sedalia, W-K Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac, and Williams-Woody Nissan (car show trophies); Landmann Title Company (bounce house and obstacle course); Equity Bank of Sedalia (tent, tables, chairs, stage); Ditzfeld Transfer, Ditzfeld Container Service, Ditzfeld & Weaver Charter Services (Dirt Road Addiction and golf carts); Missouri State Fair (trams); Dr. Joanna Anderson (dance floor); SFCC student clubs and organizations (“Chitty Chitty Bang Bang”); Viebrock Sales & Service (“Swiss Family Robinson”).
Event details are available at www.sfccmo.edu/50.