In the 2018-2019 academic year, SFCC will celebrate its golden anniversary! On Sept. 16, 1968, the college welcomed its first 436 students. They attended classes in one building, a 35,000-square-foot facility made of six modular units. Today, the Sedalia campus has nine buildings totaling more than 382,000 square feet. We hope you will join us throughout the year to celebrate 50 years of success!
Anniversary Goals and Objectives
- Raise awareness of SFCC, both in the positive difference it makes in the lives of individuals and the integral role it plays in strengthening our communities
- Celebrate SFCC’s history by honoring the accomplishments of our founders, students and employees
- Make contact with our alumni base, increasing involvement and affinity
- Strengthen relationships with community supporters, business partners, donors, and friends
- Share SFCC’s vision for the future and the transformational power of education
- Engage our stakeholders with opportunities for planned giving
Events and Activities
- Aug. 9 – Missouri State Fair parade
- Sept. 15 – Founders Dinner (by invitation)
- Sept. 16 – Solid Gold-A Rockin’ Anniversary Celebration | 1-9 p.m. | Sedalia campus
- Oct. 5 – Smith-Cotton Homecoming Parade
- Nov. 29 – Jingle on the Green, Sedalia campus
- Dec. 1 – Sedalia Area Chamber Christmas parade
- Dec. 9, 1-5 p.m.– Holiday Homes Tour, showcasing seven SFCC employee and retiree homes
- Feb. 16 – Homecoming, Roadrunners Basketball vs. Moberly; Davis MPC, Sedalia campus
- TBD – Donor Appreciation Event
- March 30 – SFCC Foundation Special Event, Davis MPC, Sedalia campus
- May 17 – Commencement and Time Capsule Sealed
An anniversary timeline display will be featured in the Goddard Gallery in the Daum Museum of Contemporary Art on campus from Sept. 16 through April 3. Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; admission is free.
50 Ways of Giving Back includes multiple opportunities for SFCC faculty, staff, students, and alumni to participate in community service activities. Contact Kim Miller, Math and Science division chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Get all your 50th anniversary gear and imprinted items at the Campus Store! Order from the online catalog or stop by the store, which is located in the northwest corner of the Stauffacher Center for the Fine Arts.
Read more about SFCC’s history and purchase the book, The Legacy of Plywood U: A History of State Fair Community College 1966-2002, written by alumna and former instructor, Deborah Noland, in the Campus Store.
For more information
To learn more about 50th anniversary activities, contact the SFCC Foundation at (660) 596-7410 or email Marketing and Communications at email@example.com.