The 2019 Sedalia commencement ceremony begins promptly at 7 p.m. May 17, 2019 and lasts about one and one-half hours.
The 2020 Sedalia commencement ceremony begins promptly at 7 p.m. May 15, 2020 and lasts about one and one-half hours.
Candidates are required to arrive at 6:15 p.m. ready to line up.
James L. Mathewson Exhibition Center
Missouri State Fairgrounds
2503 W. 16th Street
Sedalia, MO 65301
Before the Ceremony
- Doors open at 5:30 p.m.
- Please have all needs taken care of before the ceremony begins and plan to attend the entire time as certificates and degrees will not be conferred until the end.
- The Campus Store will have a table set up with a few surplus items if you have a last-minute emergency with your regalia.
- Candidates should begin lining up in two lines (pairs) in the Lowell Mohler Assembly Hall beginning at 6:15 p.m. Assistants will organize the lineup and count off rows.
- Silence your cell phone before the procession begins.
- You will not be allowed to carry anything with you during the procession except the reader card you receive when you arrive. This card will be used to announce your name as you walk across the stage. If you have a concern about the correct pronunciation of your name, you may write out a phonetic pronunciation on the card. A commencement program will be on your seat containing all of the ceremony details.
During the Ceremony
- Faculty and professional staff will lead the students in and the marshals will provide direction to you throughout the evening.
- Walk slowly down the aisle, one arm’s length behind the person in front of you. When you reach your seat, face the podium and remain standing until you are told to be seated for the invocation (men should remove caps). Stand as the colors are presented and the National Anthem is sung and then be seated (men should put on caps).
- All of the certificates and degrees will be recognized and conferred individually by groups (you will be asked to rise as they are conferred and then be seated). The marshals will cue each row one at a time when it is time to “walk”. When it is your turn to walk across the stage, hand your reader card to the individual who will read your name, then walk (no dancing, running or other gestures) across the stage and shake hands with the president. You will receive an empty diploma cover.
- Your picture will be taken two times: Once when you are shaking hands with the president and again when you exit the stage. You will then follow the cues from the marshal to return to your seat and be seated.
- Once all of the candidates have received their diploma covers, the president will ask you to stand and move your tassel to the left and then be seated.
After the Ceremony
- The recession will begin with the platform guests, then faculty and professional staff will exit. Candidates will then be cued to rise one row at a time to exit. Exit into the aisle and leave in pairs at a ‘brisk’ pace. File through the Lowell Mohler Assembly hallway and use the exit stairs to access the main level to meet your family and friends for a reception hosted by the SFCC Foundation. Keep the exits clear so the candidates after you can exit without holding up the line.