State Fair Community College students won honors at the Missouri Post-secondary Agriculture Students (PAS) conference Nov. 13-15 in Trenton.
Twenty-three SFCC agriculture students attended along with Brad Driskill, Agriculture program coordinator, and Jessica Wingerter, Agriculture navigator. They competed in contests designed to develop skills required by employers in the agriculture industry, attended workshops, listened to speakers, participated in mock interviews, and toured the Smithfield Foods operation in Princeton.
Katelyn Halsey, Odessa, was elected to serve as the secretary for Missouri PAS. Wingerter was recognized as an honorary member of Missouri PAS for her support and dedication to Missouri agriculture students.
The following students qualified to represent SFCC at the national PAS conference by placing in various contests:
- College Bowl—SFCC’s Team E made it to the semifinals; members are Kate Haarmann, Fulton; Rachel Weihl, Sedalia; Reece Gabbert, Sedalia; and Nathan Feldman, Centerview
- Prepared Speaker—Amber Carmichael, Boonville, second place; Libby James, Ashland, third place
- Career Planning—Katelyn Halsey, Odessa, first place in Agriculture Education Systems; Libby James, Ashland, first place in Horticulture, Environmental and Natural Resource Systems; Amber Carmichael, Boonville, second place in Ruminant Animal Systems
- Career Progress—Jillian Herigon, Boonville, first place in Agribusiness Management and Marketing Systems; Jared Johnston, Lone Jack, third place in Plant Systems; Rachel Weihl, Sedalia, first place; Stacia Luttrell, Smithton, second place; and Taylor Sullivan, Cole Camp, third place in Ruminant Animal Systems
- Employment Interview—Jillian Herigon, Boonville, first place in Agribusiness Administration; Hannah Parker, Ashland, third place in Agribusiness Sales; Nikki Grimpo, Carrollton, second place, and Reece Gabbert, Sedalia, third place, both in Crop Production
- Career Program Area Contests—Stacia Luttrell, Smithton, third place, in Dairy; Libby James, Ashland, first place, and Mackenzie Miller, Boonville, second place, both in Floriculture; Jack Long, Cole Camp, second place, and Jamylin Weigand, Warrensburg, third place, both in Livestock; Ashley Rupe, Mora, first place, and Nikki Grimpo, Carrollton, third place, both in Soils; Katelyn Halsey, Odessa, second place in Agriculture Education
SFCC agriculture students, faculty and staff attended the Missouri PAS conference Nov. 13-15 in Trenton. Front row, from left, Agriculture Student Success Navigator Jessica Wingerter, Nikki Grimpo, Jillian Herigon, Mackenzie Miller, Hannah Parker, Stacia Luttrell, Taylor Sullivan, Ashely Rupe, Libby James, Rachel Weihl, Amber Carmichael, Agriculture Program Coordinator Brad Driskill. Back row, from left, Jenna Ellison, Kate Haarmann, Sam Sudbrock, Nathan Feldman, Jared Johnston, Jack Long, Reece Gabbert, Dalton Wineland, Samantha Hutcheson, Natasha Jenkins, Cheyenne Kurtz