State Fair Community College

Transfer information

Start here. Go there.

If your desire is to earn a bachelor's degree, then SFCC is a great place to start because of our quality programs and low tuition. SFCC works directly with many four-year schools in Missouri to ensure the college credit you earn here will transfer easily to those schools.

It is important to understand the process involved in the transfer of credit. The college you transfer to (the receiving institution) determines which courses it will grant credit for and how those courses will apply toward earning a degree there--whether a particular course will count as a general education requirement, as a course in your major or minor, or as an elective. The receiving institution has this authority because it is the school that grants the degrees earned by its graduates. The determination of what credits transfer is based upon an evaluation of your SFCC transcript (which you must request SFCC to send directly to the college.) Colleges vary in the exact procedure for this process, so you should contact their admissions office to find out what is required. Many will do an official evaluation only after you have been accepted. On this page you will find information about:

Transferring with an AA Degree
Transferring without a Degree
General Transfer Policies
Transfer Guidelines: Student Rights and Responsibilities

For more information about the transfer process, follow these links that will take you to new pages:

Associate of Arts Suggested Electives
Associate of Arts in Teaching Suggested Courses
Transfer Timetable
Factors to Consider when Selecting a Four-Year College
Frequently Asked Questions about the Transfer Process
Transfer Agreements and Course Equivalencies with Missouri Four-Year Colleges
Links to Find a Four-Year College

Transferring with an Associate of Arts (AA) Degree

When a student earns an AA degree and transfers to a participating Missouri four-year college, generally their AA will transfer in as a block of coursework and the receiving institution will allow the AA degree to fulfill all lower level general education requirements.  There are exceptions to this so it is imperative that students consult the college catalog, an academic advisor, or faculty member in their major at the receiving institution for specific degree requirements. For example, some programs at some four-year institutions require that students select certain general education courses to earn their bachelor's degree. If you do not complete those specific courses during your time at SFCC, you will be required to take them after you transfer. As a transfer student at SFCC, it is your responsibility to check with the four-year school to find out their requirements. Your advisor can help direct you to the appropriate office or person at that school, if needed.
Back to Top


Transferring without a Degree

For students transferring without an AA degree, the receiving institution will usually specify the minimum transferable credit hours that will waive freshman admission requirements (i.e. at Missouri State University and at the University of Missouri it is 24 hours of college-level courses). In other words, students with over 24 college credit hours are required to meet the admissions criteria for a transfer student, not the admissions requirements for a first-time freshman. Additionally, the receiving institution will evaluate each course taken at SFCC one-by-one to determine the course equivalency and how the course will apply toward requirements for a baccalaureate degree at that institution.
Back to Top  


General Transfer Policies

Each institution sets their own transfer policies and admissions requirements. It is the transfer student's responsibility to learn and understand the policies and procedures of the school to which they intend to transfer. It is very important that you consult the catalog of the four-year college for specific transfer student admission requirements. Generally, four-year schools set a maximum number of credit hours students are allowed to transfer in and apply toward a baccalaureate degree. The typical maximum is 64 semester hours. If you exceed the 64 hours at SFCC, the four-year college will use the 64 hours that apply to your intended program of study and the excess hours will be elective credit. 


Also, most four-year colleges require that you earn a certain minimum number of upper division credit hours for your Bachelor's degree regardless of how many lower division hours you accumulated at SFCC. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 is generally required but some schools set higher GPA requirements. At some colleges there are other specific criteria, such as GPA, test scores, and course requirements, that are needed for admission to certain degree programs whether or not you have completed an A.A.  In other words, being accepted as a student at a four-year school does not necessarily mean you can take courses for any program. Education and business majors will find this especially true, as will numerous pre-professional majors that have specific prerequisite courses for applicants (i.e. nursing, medicine, pharmacy, engineering, veterinary medicine, dentistry).  


Application deadlines and fees will vary by college, so consult a catalog for the specifics. Deadlines to apply for scholarships and financial aid will often be much earlier at the transfer college than they were at SFCC, due to a larger student population, so it is wise to know these deadlines and submit your paperwork by the date specified. Generally, you will want to begin the application process at the four-year to which you are transferring the semester before you graduate from SFCC. Te ensure that you are meeting all admissions criteria and appropriate deadlines, it is important to work with an advisor at the transfer school. 

Back to Top 


Transfer Guidelines: Student Rights and Responsibilities

A pamphlet available from the Missouri Coordinating Board of Higher Education gives the following suggestions to make the transfer process go smoothly.   


  1. Students who intend to transfer should know the admission requirements of the receiving institution.            
  2. Once transfer is a real consideration, students should talk directly to an advisor at that institution.
  3. Students should select a major that meets their educational aspirations. Courses that will maximize acceptance without deficiencies by the receiving institution should be chosen. 
  4. Students who change majors should be aware that they may not be able to apply all previously earned credits toward a new major.
  5. Transfer students will be evaluated on the same criteria established for native students (a student whose initial enrollment was at an institution and who has not transferred).  Admission to specific programs may result in additional requirements.
  6. Check periodically with a transfer advisor at the receiving institution to ensure acceptance of credits and to learn of any changes in requirements. For transfer students who maintain continuous enrollment, the applicable catalog will be the same as for native students who began postsecondary studies at the same time.  
  7. A student has the right to appeal a denial of transfer credit at the four-year college. Institutional policies for appeal should be available in the college's catalog or student handbook. If a transfer student's appeal challenge is denied by the institution after all appeal steps internal to the institution have been exhausted, transfer students can appeal to the state-level committee on transfer and articulation.

Back to Top


Students intending to transfer to a four-year school for a Bachelor's degree typically pursue an Associate of the Arts degree, or AA.  The AA degree is designed for transfer by satisfying the lower-level general education requirements. Students pursing an AA degree must earn a minimum of 64-credit hours; the majority of these credits are earned by taking general education coursework. Click here to view a document that outlines the coursework required to satisfy the 64-credit hour minimum, including a minimum of 43-general education hours.  (Note: you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this file; click here to download Adobe for free.) 

REMEMBER: Basic skill courses (Basic Math Lab, Elementary Algebra, Basic English Lab, Introduction to Writing, and Reading) do not apply to the 64 hours needed for an A.A., nor do they transfer to a four-year college.  

© Copyright 2014 State Fair Community College
3201 W. 16th St · Sedalia, Missouri · 65301-2199
Toll-free: (877) 311-7322 · Map/Directions
Equal Opportunity/AccommodationsA tobacco-free campus