A+ Scholarship Program Changes Effective January 1, 2012
Recent changes have been made to the A+ Scholarship Program by the Missouri Department of Higher Education. The most significant change for students attending college is in the number of credit hours the A+ program will now pay for. Effective with the spring 2012 semester, eligibility will be limited to 105% of what it takes to receive the specific certificate or associate’s degree the student is pursuing.
For example, if a student's degree requires 64 credit hours, A+ will pay for up to 67 credit hours. Once 67 credit hours are attempted, A+ scholarship eligibility expires. Please refer to the Missouri Department of Higher Education’s Web site for more information on the A+ program. http://www.dhe.mo.gov/ppc/grants/aplusscholarship.php
Below is a more detailed explanation of the eligibility requirements/changes.
Eligibility expires when the earliest of the following occurs:
- 48 months after completion of high school coursework (Students providing service to any branch of the U.S. armed forces can defer eligibility beyond the 48 months if they return to full-time status within 12 months of the end of their military service.)
- Receipt of an associate degree
- Completion of 105% of the hours required for the program in which student is currently enrolled
105 % includes the following:
- All hours, including developmental/remedial hours, taken at the student’s current institution
- All known hours, including developmental/remedial hours, taken at any other A+ eligible institution
- Hours taken at any non-eligible A+ institution, including out-of-state institutions, that the student’s current institution accepts in transfer
105 % excludes the following:
- Hours earned for work completed before high school graduation, including (but not limited to): dual credit, dual enrollment, technical education articulation, advanced placement, international baccalaureate
- Hours from a non-participating institution not accepted in transfer by a participating institution
A+ participants must complete a FAFSA each year and ensure their A+ high school transcript with the raised seal is sent to SFCC.
A+ normally pays for any tuition and fees charged to all students, after any Pell Grant and any State of Missouri grant or scholarship (except Bright Flight) money are applied to these charges. The Missouri Department of Higher Education (MDHE) oversees the A+ program. For more information on the A+ program you can go to http://www.dhe.mo.gov/ppc/grants/aplusscholarship.php
It is beneficial for A+ students to complete their financial aid application early. They also should ensure the college has received their high school transcript that shows the student is an A+ eligible student.
To continue to be eligible for A+ a student must enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester for fall and spring or six semester hours during the summer semester. A cumulative 2.5 GPA must be maintained. A student will lose their A+ eligibility if they do not maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA.
A+ students who lose their A+ eligibility may be reinstated if they raise their cumulative GPA to 2.5 or higher.
If you have any questions concerning the A+ program please email us at email@example.com
For more information on the A+ program please go to the Missouri Department of Higher Education's A+ Program web site.