High School Equivalency Preparation and Examination
This program provides individualized and group instruction. Emphasis is placed on developing and improving skills through effective learning techniques that result in earning a HSE certificate.The SFCC Adult Education and Literacy (AEL) staff will help you transition into college after you earn your HSE.
The AEL program is designed to assist HSE candidates in all aspects of exam preparation, study skills, test-taking strategies, and continuing educational endeavors to insure student success in a friendly and open learning environment.
Participants work with appropriate supplemental instructional material and aids, as well as computer managed and assisted instructional material.
The AEL / HSE programs have a managed enrollment procedure that consists of six-week sessions throughout the year. Contact the AEL office for enrollment information at (660) 596-7289.
Here is what happens when you enroll:
- You will complete an orientation.
- You will be given a comprehensive set of assessments to determine the appropriate levels in which you currently have basic skills.
- After processing the assessments, an individual prescription form will be completed indicating specific areas that need attention to prepare you to take the HSE or ACT/ASSET exams. Time will not be consumed working on skills you already possess.
- You will continue to proceed at your own pace with guidance and assistance from professional instructors.
- When student and instructor feel achievement is at an appropriate level for success, either an application for the final HSE test will be completed or the student may choose to sign up for the ACT, ASSET, or TOEFL Exams.