State Fair Community College has a policy of providing reasonable accommodations to qualified students with a disability according to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act to ensure that there will be no discrimination on the basis of disability. Accommodations are adjustments made for students with disabilities in order to allow them to access the same education experiences as their peers. The purpose of an accommodation is to "level the playing field."
Non-Discrimination Notification Under Title VI, Title IX, Section 504 and The Americans with Disabilities Act
State Fair Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or age in its programs and activities or in employment. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policy: Director of Human Resources, Hopkins Student Services Center, (660) 596-7484, or Dean of Student and Academic Support Services, Hopkins Student Services Center, (660) 596-7393. The Hopkins Center is located on SFCC’s Sedalia campus at 3201 W. 16th St., Sedalia, MO 65301. Inquires also may be directed to the U.S Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights at OCR.KansasCity@ed.gov.
1. Students requiring classroom accommodations must register with an Access Office in Student Services. The application process requires the student to fill out a Disability Request for Services and two Release of Information forms (Documentation needs to be within the last 3 years and from a licensed medical physician or psychological personnel).
2. Students are encouraged to meet with an Access Office at least two weeks prior to the first day of the semester.
a. Release of Information forms and the Disability Request for Services form are available from the Access Office.
Policies for required documentation vary according to the disability. The documentation must clearly identify the disability and provide sufficient information regarding the limitations of the disability in order to permit State Fair Community College to make a determination as to whether the requested accommodations are appropriate. State Fair Community College will be responsible to determine, based upon the evaluative data, what those accommodations should be. Please see the Documentation of Disability and Eligibility
guide to determine the documentation requirements for your disability.
c. Documentation of disability should be mailed or faxed by the professional to the attention of the Access Office or the contact address listed below, or faxed to (660) 596-7279. The documentation may also be hand delivered by the student in a sealed company envelope with the professional's signature across the seal.
3. After accommodations have been established by the Access Office the student is required to meet with the Access Office in order to implement their accommodations.
4. Students receiving accommodations who are experiencing unresolved problems or need adjustments to their accommodations should contact the Access Office as soon as possible at (660) 596-5832.
5. Students are required to meet with the Access Office the beginning of each semester to implement accommodations.
Student Services, Hopkins Center
Fax: (660) 596-7472