What are Payment Plans?
Paying for a college education is a concern for nearly every student and family. Having a solid plan for covering the cost of college is an important step toward graduation. SFCC is pleased to provide a payment center to make the process easier for you. This is not a loan program. You have no debt, there are no interest or finance charges assessed, and there is no credit check.
- There are two payment plan options--the monthly plan or the FAFSA pending plan.
- The monthly plan is for students who do not receive any type of financial aid (Pell grant, loan, scholarship, A+, etc.). The sooner a student who is not receiving financial aid enrolls in the monthly plan, the longer that student will have to pay on his or her account balance, which means the payments will be smaller.
- The FAFSA pending plan is for students who have filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and expect to receive financial aid. Enrollment in this plan ensures that classes will be held until the financial aid has been applied. Also, financial aid sometimes doesn’t cover the entire tuition fees balance. Payments are based on any balance left in the student's account after all financial aid has been applied. To be eligible to receive federal or state financial aid, students must complete a FAFSA and have received the results of that application prior to signing up for the FAFSA pending plan.
- All students who sign up for either plan will be assessed a $25 per semester nonrefundable set-up fee. For students who enroll in the monthly payment plan, the set-up fee will be automatically deducted from the designated account at the time they enroll in the plan. For students who enroll in the FAFSA pending plan because they are receiving financial aid, the set-up fee will be charged to their student account.
- Automatic Bank Payment (ACH)-ACH payments are those payments you have authorized SFCC to process directly with your financial institution. It is simply a bank-to-bank transfer of funds that you have pre-approved for your expenses at State Fair Community College. Payments may be made from either your checking or savings account. Payments are processed on the 5th of each month and will continue according to the schedule of payments allowed at the time you enroll in the payment plan.
- Credit Card Option-Paying with your credit card gives you the option of taking advantage of any bonus programs that may be offered by your credit card company. Your monthly payment will be automatically charged to the credit card you designate. Payments will be charged on the 5th of each month and will continue according to the schedule of payments allowed at the time you enroll in the payment plan.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Students will have holds on their accounts and will not be able to enroll in classes for the upcoming semester, view final grades or receive a transcript until all payments are completed for the semester in progress. Students who wish to enroll when eligible in the next semester will need to pay any balance or pending scheduled payment on their accounts.
Enrollment in payment plans for the spring semester is open now; summer payment plans will open April 1, 2013.
Please be aware the college may elect not to have the payment center available during specific times and dates during class enrollment.
Enrolling in a payment plan
Before accessing the mySTAR Payment Center, be sure to have the following information:
- Account information for the person responsible for the payment
- If paying by automatic bank payments, you will need the bank name, telephone number, account number, and the bank routing number. Most of this information is located on your check.
- If paying by credit card, you will need the credit card number and expiration date.
- If you do not have a bank account or credit card, your options include purchasing a pre-paid credit card or opening an account at your local bank or credit union with a minimum of $25 to cover the payment plan set-up fee.
- Even if you are receiving financial aid from a Pell grant, student loan, A+ scholarship, or other scholarship, you may want to enroll in a payment plan. Sometimes financial aid doesn’t cover the entire tuition fees balance or SFCC may not have received your FAFSA yet. Enrolling in a payment plan by the appropriate fees due date will ensure that your class schedule is held.
IMPORTANT information to note before enrolling in a plan:
If you have recently submitted your FAFSA, the Financial Aid Office will not have received your award notification. (It takes about 10 to 14 days for SFCC to receive a FAFSA after it’s been filed.) If you enroll in a payment plan before your FAFSA has been processed, you will need to enroll in the monthly plan, which means you will be assessed a $25 set-up fee immediately from your banking/credit card. Payments will also be withdrawn from your bank account or charged to your credit card when payment dates occur.
When your FAFSA has been processed and you are notified that you will be receiving financial aid, you will need to contact the SFCC Business Office immediately to have the monthly plan terminated. If your financial aid package does not cover your entire balance, you may want to enroll in the FAFSA pending payment plan or make alternate arrangements to pay your bill in full by the appropriate fees due date in order to hold your class schedule. If you elect to enroll in the FAFSA pending plan, the $25 payment plan set-up fee will be charged to your student account. The Business Office will not automatically do this process; you must request the change from the monthly plan to the FAFSA pending plan.
Be sure to confirm with the Financial Aid Office that the staff has received and processed your financial aid application. You may check the status of your FAFSA in the Financial Aid Requirements channel on the Financial Aid tab in mySTAR. (If you attempt to sign up for the FAFSA pending plan before your FAFSA is received and processed by SFCC, you will not be directed to the correct payment plan option.)
Before signing up, you might find it helpful to download and print the Payment Plan instructions.
Access to the online Payment Center is through mySTAR. To sign up, follow these steps: (Please note you may need to disable popup blockers on your computer when you enter the Payment Center. For Internet Explorer 7.0 and Mozilla Firefox 3.6 browsers, click "How to Disable Popup Blockers" to view step-by-step instructions. If you have added another toolbar such as Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc., you will need to disable that toolbar to be able to access the Payment Center.)
- Log in to mySTAR
- Select the Student tab
- In the Registration Tools channel, select the Payment Center link
- Choose the “Payment Plan” option from the menu bar at the top of the screen.
- Complete the enrollment process.
Failure to either pay in full, have a FAFSA on file with SFCC or sign up for a payment plan by the appropriate fees due date will result in cancellation of class schedule.
- If you have questions regarding your financial aid award, please call the Financial Aid Office at (660) 530-5834.
- If you have questions about your tuition balance, please call the Business Office at (660) 530-5826.