Enroll in classes - GEM students
After applying for admissions and receiving the email from the Advising and Resource Center with your login information, the next step is to enroll in classes.
When should you enroll? Always enroll well in advance of each session to ensure you have time to receive any required textbooks or educational materials. Depending on your location, it can take two weeks or more to receive textbooks. Below are the dates of the upcoming academic sessions:
| Fall 2016
|| June 28, 2016
|| First 8-week WAFB session
|| Oct. 19
|| Sept. 6, 2016
|| Second 8-week WAFB session
|| Dec. 20
Steps to enroll
You may want to print this page for reference as you work through these steps; just click on the printer icon at the top right.
1. Review the list of Approved Courses for GEM online classes. Determine which classes you want to take and note the course information (example--Speech 101). Knowing this information will assist you in searching for these classes in mySTAR.
- Most courses require a certain placement score or prerequisite in order to enroll. While searching for classes (using the steps below in #2), you can determine whether or not a class has a placement score requirement or prerequisite by clicking on the class CRN number and then clicking on View Catalog Entry.
- If you have taken a placement test within the last five years, you will need to send a copy of the scores to Admissions prior to enrolling. Click on Placement Score Chart to view the range of scores that indicate if you are eligible to enroll in college-level classes or if you will need to start with a basic skills class that will prepare you for the college-level classes.
- If you have not taken a placement test, then your Education Center representative needs to contact the SFCC Testing Center at (660) 530-5818 or email email@example.com schedule an appointment for a placement test to be administered.
2. Now that you know the courses you want to take, it is time to log in to mySTAR using the ID and password provided in the email from Admissions and Outreach you received after submitting the admission application.
- Click on the mySTAR icon at the top right of this page
- Enter student ID and password. You now have access to mySTAR and can see several tabs near the top
- Select the Student tab
- Locate the Registration Tools channel and select Add or Drop Classes
- Select the appropriate term and click Submit
- At the bottom of the screen click Class Search
- Please note--not all of the search fields must be "filled in" to find classes--only those fields listed here need to be used
- For Subject, select the appropriate category (example Speech, English, Mathematics, History, Sociology, etc.)
- For Course Number, type in the appropriate 3-digit number, such as 101, 102, etc. (leaving blank will return ALL courses in the subject area)
- For Campus, select Online Campus
- Now click Class Search at bottom of screen
- Click the box next to the class you want--make sure to check the Date Range to ensure you are selecting the class with the start and end time that you want
- Scroll to the bottom of your screen and click Register; repeat this process for all courses in which you want to enroll
- Click on Return to Student Tab (upper left corner) to return to mySTAR
3. When you are finished, return to the Student tab to view and print your tuition and fee charges.
- Locate the My Statement channel and click Statement and Payment History
- Use the links at the bottom of the page for more information
- Click Back to Student Tab at the top left to return to mySTAR
4. Apply for and submit Tuition Assistance (TA) authorization application online using the Air Force Virtual Education Center. Click AFVEC to access this page. TA is not approved until 45 days before the classes begin. After you have completed this step, the SFCC Business Office will process payment. If payment arrangements are not made by the appropriate payment deadline, courses will be automatically dropped from your schedule.
5. Order textbooks online from the SFCC Campus Store. Visit http://sfccbooks.com, call (660) 530-5840, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to place your order or for more information. Please note that it could take two weeks or more to receive your textbooks depending on your location.
Accessing your online classes
One week before classes begin, you should access the eIntro to SFCC Online tutorial. This will help you understand how to navigate online classes using Blackboard, the learning management system (LMS) the college refers to as SFCC Online. The LMS is used for online and hybrid (combination of on-ground and online) courses.
The Blackboard allows you to access online courses, participate in discussion boards, upload homework, and check your class progress.
The classes you have enrolled in will be accessible through SFCC Online no later than the first day of the session. Follow these steps to access your classes:
- Log in to mySTAR
- Select Student Tab
- Click on the SFCC Online logo
You have access to technical support 24/7. Call toll free (866) 295-3070 if you have difficulty accessing online classes.
At SFCC we want students to reach their educational goals; therefore, we offer free tutoring to any SFCC student in a number of core subjects. For more information, contact Julie Crawshaw, resource technician and tutoring supervisor at email@example.com or call (660) 596-7304.